Expanded IV Therapy for the LPN
About the Program
IWCC provides IV certification courses approved by Iowa Board of Nursing. Provider #6
This course is designed to prepare the Iowa LPN to perform procedures related to the expanded scope of intravenous therapy in a licensed hospital, licensed skilled nursing facility and a certified end-stage renal dialysis unit. Major emphasis is placed on the specialized skills needed to provide IV therapy for clients age 12 or older and weighing 80 pounds or more. Successfully complete the classroom and clinical portions to receive your LPN-C Certificate. Clinical paperwork must be turned in to the Course Coordinator before the certificate can be issued.
Program to Include
- Major legal implications of IV therapy as related to the Iowa Code
- IV devices used in administering IV solution and drugs, indicating criteria for use, precautions, complications and documentation
- Peripheral vein used for venipuncture
- Nursing responsibilities in preparation for and during venipuncture, maintenance and care of the client with an IV infusion in simulated and clinical situations
- Principles of infection control
- ManagING IV therapy to decrease the risk of complication
- Fundamentals of fluid and electrolyte metabolism
- Major drugs used intravenously, giving precautions, dose and effects, rate of infusion, side effects and reactions, factors controlling stability and compatibility, preparation and administration of each drug
- Techniques in preparation for and during venipuncture and the maintenance and care of the client with an infusion in a simulated laboratory setting and in a clinical setting
- Techniques for preparing and administering IV solutions and additives in simulated and clinical situations with appropriate supervision, according to agency policy
- Unrestricted LPN or RN license
- 6 months nursing experience in a hospital or skilled nursing facility
- Currently working in a licensed hospital, skilled nursing facility or certified end stage renal dialysis unit
You will receive a certificate of completion in the mail once the classroom and clinical portions are complete. Clinical paperwork must be turned in to the Course Coordinator before a certificate can be issued.
Please click on this link Agency Agreement to print and take to your supervisor for confirmation of expectaton for the clinical portion of this course.
$650 includes books and handouts. Fee must accompany registration. Employer check and Credit/Debit Card accepted. No personal checks.