IV Certification Courses for the LPN
IWCC provides IV certification courses approved by Iowa Board of Nursing. Provider #6
IV Therapy for LPN
About the Program
This course is designed to prepare the Iowa LPN to perform procedures related to the expanded scope of intravenous therapy in a licensed hospital, licensed skilled nursing facility and a certified end-stage renal dialysis unit. Major emphasis is placed on the specialized skills needed to provide IV therapy for clients age 12 or older and weighing 80 pounds or more. Successfully complete the classroom and clinical portions to receive your LPN-C Certificate. Clinical paperwork must be turned in to the Course Coordinator before the certificate can be issued.
Program to Include
- Major legal implications of IV therapy as related to the Iowa Code
- IV devices used in administering IV solution and drugs, indicating criteria for use, precautions, complications and documentation
- Peripheral vein used for venipuncture
- Nursing responsibilities in preparation for and during venipuncture, maintenance and care of the client with an IV infusion in simulated and clinical situations
- Principles of infection control
- ManagING IV therapy to decrease the risk of complication
- Fundamentals of fluid and electrolyte metabolism
- Major drugs used intravenously, giving precautions, dose and effects, rate of infusion, side effects and reactions, factors controlling stability and compatibility, preparation and administration of each drug
- Techniques in preparation for and during venipuncture and the maintenance and care of the client with an infusion in a simulated laboratory setting and in a clinical setting
- Techniques for preparing and administering IV solutions and additives in simulated and clinical situations with appropriate supervision, according to agency policy
- Unrestricted LPN or RN license
- 6 months nursing experience in a hospital or skilled nursing facility
- Currently working in a licensed hospital, skilled nursing facility or certified end stage renal dialysis unit
You will receive a certificate of completion in the mail once the classroom and clinical portions are complete. Clinical paperwork must be turned in to the Course Coordinator before a certificate can be issued.
Please click on this link Agency Agreement to print and take to your supervisor for confirmation of expectaton for the clinical portion of this course.
LPN IV Basics
About the Program
This course is approved by the state of Nebraska and meets the LB 88 requirements.
Licensed LPN. 8 Hours of Didactic including Legal aspects of IV Therapy, Peripheral IV, and Central Lines.
- 3-ring binder
- Pencil or pen
IV Therapy for LPN
This course is designed to prepare the Iowa LPN to perform procedures related to the expanded scope of intravenous therapy in a licensed hospital, licensed skilled nursing facility and a certified end-stage renal dialysis unit. IV Therapy for clients age 12 or older and weighing 80 pounds or more. LPN-C certificate given upon completion of classroom and sponsoring facility clinical portion. Prerequisites: unrestricted LPN or RN license; 6mos nursing experience; currently working in hospital, skilled nursing or end stage dialysis unit; Skill required for the clinical portion, will be the responsibility of the student and their sponsoring facility. MUST take a Math test prior to class start date and obtain a 90% or better. Please request Math exam upon registration. Fee $695
|Section #||Location||Day(s)||Start Date||Start Time||Building||Contact Number|
|HLTH 13*01 - CS18||Council Bluffs Campus||S||03/17/2018||10:00AM-5:00PM||Looft Hall
||8 sessions||Call 712-325-3255|