Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Adjunct ESL Instructor-CE Adult Literacy
Located at the Shelby County Center in Harlan, IA
Required: Bachelors degree, education or similar field
Preferred: BA or BS with ELL or TESOL certification or Master’s degree related to ELL/ESL education
Required: Teaching of adult ELL population
Preferred: Additional teaching experience; bilingual--Spanish
Basic Function and Responsibility:
- Responsible for course content and instruction for select classes which may include Reading, Writing and Speaking of the English language competencies and standards, Digital Literacy, Numeracy.
- Integration of instruction- preparing instruction to match skill level of adults at various educational functioning levels.
- Responsible for competency-based instruction in assigned ESL classes
- Develop and implement College and Career Readiness Standards in class(es); includes creating lesson plans using template identifying Common Core Standards and CASAS Competencies.
- Contextualize instruction for job readiness, employability
- Use variety of instructional strategies including, but not limited to, explicit/direct instruction, large group, small group, one-on-one situations
- Instructor must pass test mandated certification exam9s) to administer state and program required post-tests and assessments.
- Evaluate and analyze assessment results and determine competency-based needs of class.
- Maintain up-to-date syllabi(s) for each class (this changes for each session based on needs of class/students)
- Instructor will maintain student records including but not limited to: attendance, enrollment and updating student records in electronic database and management of materials and resources.
- Digital literacy: determine needs of class(es), select/design appropriate curriculum
- Follow state and local program guides pertaining to required certifications for electronic management system including assessment administration and entering of data in a timely manner (annual recertifications required, hours of instruction entered into TE system monthly, etc)
- Administer posttest(s) to students with a minimum of 40 hours targeted instruction
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build student rapport
- Develop lesson plans accordingly
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Assist in student retention efforts with follow-up call, emails, other methods of communication
- Instructor will be responsible for student follow-up and retention of enrolled students.
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth-oriented work environment.
- Attend professional development and growth activities, reflecting at least 12 hours of professional development per year.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled
- Upgrade skills and knowledge relevant to teaching field or discipline
- Maintain confidentiality regarding stu;dents and colleagues
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, such as: Providing syllabi at the start of class, maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance records, entering of data into the TE system
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill educational theory and methodology related to the adult learner/ English as a Second Language learner
- Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds, cultures, and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Assume responsibility: deal effectively with problems and exercise independent, sound judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff administrators and other contacts.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as micro-computer, calculator, telephone, taxes, scanners, copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a Learning Center, worksite or other classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
It is the policy of the College to extend equal opportunities to all employees and to applicants for employment who meet the qualifications established for a position for which the application is made. It is also the policy of this institution not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of disability, gender identity, age, race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, AIDS/HIV status, citizenship, national origin or any other characteristic that is legally protected.
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact the Director of Human Resources, 2700 College Rd, Council Bluffs, IA 51503, phone number (712)325-3413, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number (312)730-1560, fax (312)730-1576.
open until filled