Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Adjunct Welding Instructor (2 positions available)
2 positions available
Locations: Council Bluffs, IA and Clarinda, IA
Effective Date: 8/1/17 or sooner if needed by Iowa Western
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Adjunct Faculty is responsible for teaching classes as assigned by the Dean. Must evaluate and report student performances and progress in courses in accordance with College and division policies and procedures. Must meet Adjunct Faculty qualifications.
Typical Physical Demands:
Position requires prolonged standing or sitting. Position requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Position requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Position requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Position requires the use of office equipment such as micro-computer, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers, plus state of the art audio-visual technology in the classroom.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom and laboratory environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Function with a team to promote, develop and deliver science related education.
- Organize and teach classes as assigned by the academic dean
- Conduct productive class sessions for the entire period scheduled.
- Facilitate student achievement of course competencies for the program.
- Maintain knowledge of current research, practice, and trends in the biological sciences.
- Maintain program equipment, making reports of repairs as needed to the department program chair and appropriate college departments.
- Maintain student enrollment, attendance, competency records, grades and other pertinent class and student records in compliance with FERPA guidelines.
- Maintain up-to-date syllabi, using criteria established by the college, in all courses assigned.
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and positive student successful environment.
- Demonstrate punctuality on all requests from the Dean. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Evaluation of courses and programs
- Reports, roster verification, progress reports, final grades.
- Course assessments
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
- Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the teaching-learning process.
- Capable of creating a classroom and lab environment which is conducive to student learning.
- Strong motivation to work/serve under-prepared students.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
Required: Associate Degree related to welding or 5 years of welding experience.
Preferred: Welding emphasis on SMAW, GMAW, TIG, cutting processes , safety, and blueprint reading curriculum and experience.
Required: Demonstrated laboratory skills. Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the student-learning process. Capable of creating and maintaining a classroom environment which is conducive to student learning. Computer experience in common software and Internet. Commitment to cultural diversity among students and faculty.
Preferred: Previous experience teaching welding.
It is the policy of the College to extend equal opportunities to all employees and to applicants for employment who meet the qualifications established for a position for which the application is made. It is also the policy of this institution not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of disability, gender identity, age, race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, AIDS/HIV status, citizenship, national origin or any other characteristic that is legally protected.
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact the Director of Human Resources, 2700 College Rd, Council Bluffs, IA 51503, phone number (712)325-3413, email email@example.com, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number (312)730-1560, fax (312)730-1576.
open until filled