Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Construction Technology Lab Assistant
Basic Function and Responsibility:
- The lab assistant will assist the faculty in assessing student progress, instruction and be responsible for safety requirements on the job site.
- Function in a team with program faculty to promote, develop and deliver quality education programs that are in the best interest of the students and the college.
- Organize and teach labs as assigned by the program chair.
- Conduct labs for the entire period scheduled and in a punctual manner.
- Assist with the retention of the students to the program.
- Maintain competency and knowledge of current practice and trends in residential construction pedagogy.
- Maintain program equipment, making reports of repairs as needed to the department program chair.
- Ensure that the job site is a clean and safe environment for student learning.
- Proficiently complete additional duties as assigned.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing, sitting, or climbing. Requires frequent bending, stooping, or stretching. May require lifting up to 60 lbs. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity.
Typical Working Conditions:
This is a part-time position. Lab assistant assignment is located in Council Bluffs. Work schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays 7:00am – 4:00pm.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students and colleagues.
- Demonstrate punctuality on all requests from the program chair.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Self-directed, able to work with minimal supervision and be held accountable for performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
- Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the teacher-learning process.
- Capable of creating a safe environment which is conducive to student learning.
- An understanding of the community college philosophy and the community college student.
- Commitment to cultural diversity among students, faculty and the curriculum
Required: Associate Degree related to construction or 5 years of residential construction experience.
It is the policy of the College to extend equal opportunities to all employees and to applicants for employment who meet the qualifications established for a position for which the application is made. It is also the policy of this institution not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of disability, gender identity, age, race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, AIDS/HIV status, citizenship, national origin or any other characteristic that is legally protected.
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact the Director of Human Resources, 2700 College Rd, Council Bluffs, IA 51503, phone number (712)325-3413, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number (312)730-1560, fax (312)730-1576.
open until filled