Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
TRIO Biological Sciences Specialist
Provide tutoring and academic coaching to students in various biology courses.
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in biological sciences.
- Experience tutoring or teaching students at the secondary or post-secondary level.
- Experience working with and providing academic support for diverse populations.
Skills and Abilities:
- Iowa Western’s Student Services Division fosters learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. All Student Services staff members must have the ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, manage their time, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate policies and procedures to students.
- Must express sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college students.
- Must convey a commitment to delivering first-rate customer service and exceptional support on a daily basis.
- Ability to follow through independently.
- Provide one-on-one and small-group tutoring to TRiO students enrolled in various biology courses, including General Biology, Human Biology, and Anatomy and Physiology.
- Develop and facilitate academic skills workshops.
- Assist students with non-cognitive skill development including improving study habits such as note taking, organization, and time management.
- Develop and maintain relationships with science faculty to enhance support resources, expand the student support network, and optimize the impact of student success initiatives.
- Create, modify, and utilize study aides and guides for students enrolled in biology courses.
- Provide ongoing feedback and input to the TRiO Program Director in order to ensure the continuous improvement of academic support services.
- Maintain documentation of students’ tutoring use.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time
COMPENSATION $17.00 per hour
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
While the aforementioned is the preferred schedule, a different schedule can potentially be developed depending on the employee’s availability and student need.
Occasional evenings are required.
Requires prolonged sitting.
Work is routinely performed in an office environment.
open until filled