Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Number of Majors: 15
Average Class Size: 16
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus, Clarinda Center
About the Program
Agriculture has become more high-tech over the years, and you can be well prepared for this field by completing Iowa Western’s Agriculture Transfer program of study. Students in this program take advantage of the best in computer technology to eventually earn an Associates of Science degree.
In this program you will complete the requirements needed for your first two years of a bachelor’s degree before transferring on to a four-year institution. In addition, you will learn to use some of the most advanced GIS and GPS technology available while learning more about agronomy, animal science, and farm management principles.
With class sizes averaging between 12 and 15 students, this program offers one-on-one interaction with instructors.
This program is intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion of the two-year degree. Graduates with a bachelor’s degree will have a wide range of career opportunities within the agriculture field, including farm operation, agriculture loan officer, managing an agriculture supply retail business, agriculture sales, and many more.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify and select favorable genetics in plant and animal breeding.
- Identify the plant morphology of common Midwestern crop and weed species.
- Evaluate various crop production practices and techniques used to produce Midwestern crops.
- Categorize soil, plant, and climatic factors that influence plant growth and development.
- Calculate appropriate application rates for essential plant nutrients and crop protection products.
- Demonstrate proper record keeping skills and use those records to construct and analyze various financial instruments used in business.
- Develop a risk management plan that incorporates standard financial instruments, marketing techniques, and other industry accepted tools.
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.