Early Childhood Education
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Number of Majors: 72
Average Class Size: 15
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day, Evening, Online
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The education field is rewarding and as important as ever, and the best way to get started is with Iowa Western's Early Childhood Education program of study. This program will mold you into becoming a childhood teacher from birth through grade three classrooms. Graduates earn an Associate of Arts degree and are prepared to transfer on to pursue their bachelor's degree.
This program features a unique lab school on campus and an observation room to watch the interaction of students and children. IWCC’s on-campus childcare facility is nationally and state accredited, giving parents piece of mind that their children will be well cared for.
Iowa Western's lab school is quite unique for a community college. These labs are more common at large four-year universities. Students gain valuable experience working one-on-one with children. This prepares them to either jump right into a preschool teaching position or continue to work toward a bachelor’s degree.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer on to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year degree. There is an increasing demand for early childhood educators in the public schools as well as private settings. Public school teachers must be licensed, which typically requires a bachelor's degree and the completion of an approved teacher education program; private school teachers do not have to be licensed but may still need a bachelor's degree.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the early childhood profession.
- Identify developmental characteristics of children.
- Create a developmentally appropriate curriculum that advances all areas of children's development and learning.
- Demonstrate a safe, healthy learning environment.
- Apply a variety of strategies to encourage children's social, physical and emotional development.
- Describe and demonstrate the development and learning of individual children, recognizing that children develop in a context of culture, language and ability diversity.
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is necessary for employment in this area.
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.