Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Number of Majors: 35
Average Class Size: 16
Program Capacity: 18
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day & Evening
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Sit down in our spacious Mac lab and get busy on some works of art. The Media Studies: Graphic Communications program of study provides many exciting and rewarding career opportunities for graduates.
This program is specifically designed to provide you with the skills needed to begin a career in graphic arts in printing and web development, and the basic tools needed for marketing and e-commerce. After just two years, you can earn an Associate of Applied Science degree and be on your way towards an exciting and rewarding career.
Students in this program gain valuable hands-on experience by designing logos and posters for area non-profit organizations. What a great way to get experience and do something good for the community.
In graphic communication courses, you’ll spend most of your time on computers, and Iowa Western utilizes both Macs and PCs. Students enjoy a relaxed atmosphere and benefit from one-on-one interaction with instructors.
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. Graphic communications is a multifaceted industry, with a wide range of career opportunities. The graphic communications industry is made up of not only printers, but also publishers, packagers, papermakers, inkmakers, equipment manufacturers, and in-house design and printing departments within corporations, banks, and even department stores. This program prepares students for careers such as graphic designers, press operators, and desktop publishers, just to name a few. Of course, computers are a common element in any career choice and the skills acquired in this program will afford you many other career possibilities.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and respect of copyright guidelines.
- Demonstrate basic marketing strategies.
- Demonstrate use of analytical and problem solving skills for specific software application.
- Demonstrate use of analytical and problem solving skills needed for the intended purpose.
- Have working knowledge of the basic principles of design, color theory, and typography in order to create comprehensive layouts for a specific purpose(s).
- Possess basic knowledge of essential graphic software to achieve intended goal.
- Demonstrate responsibilities with professional behaviors.
- Apply business fundamentals relevant to related environment.
- Complete a Graphic Communications Cooperative Education.
- Participate effectively in collaborative environments.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.