Media Studies: Radio
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day & Evening
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Iowa Western is the home of 89.7 The River, the Omaha metro’s only alternative rock radio station! The Media Studies: Radio program of study allows students to work intensively with professional radio personnel and develop the skills needed to succeed in all aspects of the radio industry. There are so many different jobs in radio – On-air talent, production, promotions, event planning, sales, and social media.
Course work includes performance, promotions, sales, management, writing and producing commercials, social media and programming. Students can enhance their classroom experience by participating in all station operations at 89.7 The River.
Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree in two years, and are ready to move directly into the radio industry.
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. Radio announcing is a competitive field; however, many students begin working part-time or at small stations and move their way up. Graduates of this program are prepared for careers as on-air announcers, morning show hosts/co-hosts, production assistants, production directors, creative services specialists, account executives, promotions directors, and social media managers.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate vocal performance abilities.
- Use digital editing software and audio production equipment to produce professional quality materials.
- Demonstrate a variety of effective promotions, sales, and marketing techniques and approaches.
- Demonstrate a variety of writing styles for use in the media.
- Create a post-graduation packet including a resume, cover letter, demo, and web/social media components.
- Fully assess radio stations including management structure, revenue streams, and adherence to FCC policy.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.