Media Studies: Sports Media Technology
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Average Class Size: 12
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day & Evening
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Sports is more than just a hobby, it can be your career. If you are comfortable with public speaking, and you want to share your passion for sports with the world, sports media technology is a great major for you.
The sports media technology program will give you the opportunity to produce sports content for radio and TV. You will work with the professional staff at IWTV, and 89.7 The River, to get hands-on experience in sports announcing, video and audio production, and sports writing. In addition, you will learn about social media, new media, and marketing.
Our students also get real-world experience by completing an internship. As a sports media technology major you will learn how to develop the skills you need to move directly into the sports media industry after graduation.
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. This program prepares students for a career as a sports media specialist in radio, television, and journalism fields.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate vocal performance abilities for live sports broadcast situations.
- Use digital audio editing software and audio production equipment to produce professional quality materials.
- Create written content including but not limited to scripts, media guides, and press releases for use in the media.
- Use digital video editing software and video production equiment to produce professional quality materials.
- Demonstrate interviewing techniques in both live and recorded situations.
- Create a post-graduation packet including a resume, cover letter, demo, and web/social media components.
- Organize marketing events and materials to benefit the team or institution.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.