Electrical Technology Diploma
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 2 Semesters
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Evening Only
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The Electrical Technology Diploma Program prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to install, operate, maintain, and repair electric apparatus and systems such as residential, commercial, and industrial electric-power wiring; and DC and AC motors, controls, and electrical distribution panels. Includes instruction in the principles of electronics and electrical systems, wiring, power transmission, safety, industrial and household appliances, job estimation, electrical testing and inspection, and applicable codes and standards. Program is pending Iowa Department of Education approval.
The Electrical Technology Diploma program provides students with the training essential for positions as an electrician in residential or commercial construction or industrial maintenance. The program provides training in advanced motor control, conduit installation and bending techniques, blueprint reading and wiring practices. Students are trained to install, replace, and repair electrical equipment and understand industry safety practices. This program is designed to meet the related technical instruction for some DOL apprenticeship programs. Graduates of this program are awarded a diploma.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Describe how systems, components, and theories work, including the operating principles for common electrical, electronic, and electromechanical components and devices such as but not limited to AC and DC sources, resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, digital systems, control systems, power systems, and motors.
- Apply hands-on skills, such as use of tools, soldering, circuit assembly, analytical instrumentation skills (including use of meters and the oscilloscope), and computer simulation.
- Interpret specification sheets circuit schematics, and mechanical drawings.
- Demonstrate organized troubleshooting skills.
- Define and demonstrate effective team building skills.
- Demonstrate technical communication skills including proficient use of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.