Photonics System Technician
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 2 Years
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The Photonics System Technician AAS program prepares individuals to apply basic engineering principles and technical skills in support of engineers and other professionals engaged in developing and using lasers and other optical for commercial or research purposes. Includes instruction in laser and optical principles, testing and maintenance procedures, safety precautions, specific applications to various tasks, and report preparation. Program is pending Iowa Department of Education approval.
The Photonics System Technician program is the study of lasers and optics. Students will gain working knowledge and skills of electronic and electromechanical devices/systems, combined with specialty knowledge and skills in photonics. Through lab experiences students will be able to efficiently and effectively repair, operate, maintain, and calibrate photonic subsystems, and then integrate these subsystems into full systems. This program prepares students for a technical level career in photonics in four primary electronic fields: computers, telecommunications, biomedical electronics, and industrial electronics. Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Create processes that efficiently identify problems and effectively use available resources to propose solutions.
- Develop a self-directed learning style that is able to adapt to changing technology.
- Demonstrate and use fundamental aspects of the photonics technologies.
- Demonstrate procedures and skills in laboratory processes and maintenance.
- Maintain and integrate photonics systems into manufacturing, biomedical, and research laboratory and processes.
- Demonstrate and use the fundamental aspects of electronic technologies.