Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 2 Years
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day & Online
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The Exercise Science program of study prepares students to transfer to a four-year institution for further education in pre-health professional degrees (pre-physical therapy, athletic training, or per-physician assistant), corporate wellness, personal trainer, cardiac rehabilitation, and human performance. Students gain a solid foundation of human biology, anatomy and physiology, nutrition, and exercise programming. Included in this program pare tools to obtain a personal trainer certificate. Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of human anatomy and how the body moves, based on the knowledge of muscles, bones, and tissues.
- Recognize harmful health practices and intervene to effect attitudinal behaviors.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to assess a possible injury in an emergency situation.
- Demonstrate competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of weight training and physical fitness activities.
- Design an exercise and/or weight training program for an individual's specific situations and goals.
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.