Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Number of Majors: 42
Average Class Size: 20
Part-Time or Full-Time: Both
Program Courses Offered: Day, Evening, Online
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus, Clarinda Center
About the Program
Entering the field of medicine can be an educational journey, but Iowa Western can get you started with the Pre-Medicine program of study. You’ll concentrate your studies on general education courses – with an emphasis on math and science – while working toward an Associate of Science degree.
Cutting-edge technology is used during instruction of biology courses, and Iowa Western’s science labs compare very favorably with other area community colleges and four-year institutions.
After two years, you’ll gain the knowledge needed to pursue a bachelor’s degree before going on to medical school. Our graduates say the preparation they received at Iowa Western helped them succeed at four-year schools. Iowa Western’s close-knit community and helpful study groups are hallmarks of this program.
The Pre-Medicine degree is designed for students intending to transfer on to a four-year institution. Students who wish to become medical doctors must complete a bachelor’s degree, and then four years of medical school. The main responsibility of a physician is to diagnose illnesses and prescribe and administer treatment for people who are suffering from injury or disease. Many physicians choose to specialize in a particular area of medicine, pursuing a high level of expertise in their chosen field. The growing and aging population as well as advancements in technologies will drive overall growth in the number of physicians and job opportunities.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate competency in the scientific laboratory.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship of the periodic table of the elements to the functions of various systems of the body.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the anatomical and physiological properties of the human body including cellular, tissue, organs, and systems.
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is necessary for employment in this area.
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.