Coaching Authorization Course
A Coaching Authorization is for anyone interested in becoming authorized to coach in Iowa.
Iowa Western is approved by the Dept. of Education to offer, in compliance with the Senate File 2215 Section 3, the Coaching Authorization Series. The course leads to a coaching authorization for the state of Iowa and will allow you to be head or assistant coach in any sport. Renewal due after five years; renewal offered at IWCC online.
You must register at least one week prior to start date of class, but there is no guarantee of registration if class is already full.
You may cancel your registration 48 hours prior to the start date of the class and receive 100% refund.
At Iowa Western, we have 2 different options to get your authorization:
- February or October Option: You can take the course during the month of February or October. The first Saturday is an all day sports medicine clinic held on the campus of Iowa Western in Council Bluffs from 9-5 pm. Then, there are three more face to face meetings Tuesday nights from 6:30-9:30 pm at IWCC in Council Bluffs. You must be computer literate, with easy access to a computer and email as there are Convenient Online Lectures as well as online assignments. This course is for the self motivated and hard worker.
- May, June or July Option: You can take the course in a one week format during the month of May, June or July. The sessions meet from 9-5pm Monday/Tuesday/ Wednesday on the campus of IWCC in Council Bluffs. There is extensive online work before and after the face to face sessions. You must be computer literate, with easy access to a computer and email. This course is also for the self motivated and hard worker.
Online: CE Class Registration
- Name of Class: Coaching Authorization/Ethics
- Date of Class
By Phone: Kelly Stuckey (712) 325-3256
Fee includes Coaching Ethics and video lecture access.
You will need to purchase 2 Books
- Successful Coaching, Rainer Martens, 4th Edition ISBN 978-1-4504-0051-0
- Sports First Aid, Melinda Flegel, 5th Edition ISBN 978-1-4504-6890-9
To order books, call 712.325.3256 or stop by Continuing Education in Looft Hall.
Coaching Authorization/ Ethics
This course leads to a coaching authorization for the State of Iowa and will allow you to be an assistant coach in any sport. There is extensive online work before and after the face to face sessions. You must be computer literate with easy access to a computer and email. Fee $495
|Section #||Location||Day(s)||Start Date||Start Time||Building||Contact Number|
|COACH 1*04 - CF18||Council Bluffs Campus||MTW||07/16/2018||9:00AM-5:00PM||Kanesville Center
||3 sessions||Call 712-325-3256|
Additional information for Ethics and Renewal
Coaching Ethics Online Course:
This course is designed to satisfy the five (5) contact hour coaching ethics requirement of the Iowa Department of Education for a coaching authorization or renewal. This is a four step course. The first step is answering fifty questions concerning your coaching leadership, coaching guidance, and coaching temperament. Those questions lead to a self analysis of your strengths and weaknesses as a coach. The culmination of the course is really the heart and soul of this self-analysis. You will write a mini-thesis, that explains your strengths, which includes a plan of action to improve your weaknesses. Cost is $60.
Coaching Renewal Online Course:
This course is designed to help you achieve the requirements for the Coaching Renewal in the state of Iowa. During your course, you will spend time with five current issues in coaching today. Each issue will be treated as a separate requirement, with its own set of assignments. At the satisfactory completion of all five issues, you will be awarded a certificate of completion. This certificate should be sent to the Iowa Department of Education along with your application for a Coaching Authorization Renewal. Cost is $89.